Questions about your Home Inspection?
If you have a question, you may find the answer below. If you don’t see what you are looking for, please contact us and we will respond as quickly as possible.
1. How much does a home inspection cost?
|$425||Townhouses and Single Family homes up to approximately 2500 sq. ft. ($50|
surcharge for every additional 500 sq. ft.)
|$ 75||Detached Outbuildings up to 120 sq. ft. with a home inspection|
|$ 75||Perimeter Drain Camera or Underground Oil Tank Scan with a home inspection|
|$125||Both Perimeter Drain and Oil Tank services with a home inspection|
2. How is Meadowvale Home Inspection Services different from other home inspection companies in Victoria?
The difference between Meadowvale Home Inspection Services and other Victoria inspection companies is in the extra value Meadowvale provides.
- Meadowvale can also scan the property at the same time as the home inspection for underground oil tanks. We first use our magnetic locator to find suspicious areas, and then confirm the presence (or hopefully the absence) of an underground oil tank using our own ground penetrating radar unit.
- Meadowvale can investigate the condition of the perimeter drains during the inspection. We use our own CCTV camera at the time of home inspection. No need to schedule an outside company to come at some later date.
- Meadowvale includes a free book “Now That You’ve Had a Home Inspection” with every inspection – 96 pages of full colour and packed with information. Know how to maintain your home, and what to do when problems arise down the road.
- Meadowvale includes a monthly Home Maintenance Newsletter personalized for your specific home. (You have to opt in to receive this. We will never send you material you do not specifically request.)
Our home inspections are thorough and complete. We give you a detailed home inspection report on the condition of the property at the time of the inspection, and let you know what is important using pictures and, where appropriate, videos of what we observe.
3. How long does a typical inspection take?
Depending on the size and condition of the home, expect a full home inspection to take up to 2 hours on site. During this time, home inspectors look at all systems in the home, making notes and taking lots of pictures. During a walk-through with the client, the inspector will give a verbal report outlining the main findings. The written report in the form of a PDF file will be emailed to the client.
4. Who receives a copy of the inspection report?
We send the inspection report directly to you and no-one else. You paid for the report and it belongs to you. You are under no obligation to share it with your agent or anyone else, but you are free to do so if you wish. The decision is yours.
5. Do I need to be present during the inspection?
It is not necessary to be present for the full inspection. It is very highly recommended, however, that you attend for a walkthrough with the inspector at the end of the inspection.
6. I’m selling my house and the potential purchaser has arranged a home inspection. What should I do in preparation?
Home inspectors can only look at places to which they have access. Make sure no large areas are blocked by furniture or packing boxes, make sure the attic is accessible and all doors are unlocked. Make sure all utilities are turned on and that pilot lights are lit. Ensure that all appliances such as ovens, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers have power.
7. Can you find problems that have been “hidden” by the homeowner?
We rarely find homeowners intentionally try to deceive potential purchasers. It is far more common for homeowners to be unaware of problems that are not visible to the naked eye. Meadowvale inspectors are, however, experienced in detecting evidence of recent cosmetic improvements that could be an attempt to disguise trouble areas.
8. Can you recommend tradespeople to do any needed repairs?
We can provide you with a list of qualified tradespeople who have good reputations around the city. However, it is your responsibility to select any individuals you wish to employ.
9. Can you tell me what repairs will cost?
The cost of repairs is impossible to determine until a qualified tradesperson has looked at the situation. For that reason, we recommend that you call on them if you have concerns about costs. Reading your Home Inspection Report will, however, give you an idea of the seriousness of any defects we find.
10. What is a 2-5-10 New Home Warranty Inspection?
Since 1999, builders in British Columbia have been required to provide a New Home Warranty for all homes built for resale. This warranty has three phases, each of which covers different aspects of the construction for periods of 2 years, 5 years and 10 years. Prior to any phase of your Home Warranty expiring, we will inspect your home and look specifically for areas that need repair under the warranty.
11. Do you offer any type of inspection warranty?
A home inspection is not a warranty against any kind of present or future problem. After you receive your written report, we will be happy to discuss it with you by phone or in person and go through it to answer any questions you may have.
12. Should I be concerned about Radon? Can you check the Radon level in my home? What should I do if the Radon level is too high?
Every home owner or tenant should be concerned about Radon. Radon is the second highest cause of lung cancer after smoking, and radon may be present in your home even if it is absent in others in your neighborhood. Fortunately, radon is not a common problem in Victoria, but homeowners should still check to be certain.
No home inspector can perform an accurate radon test during a typical home inspection. A check for Radon requires monitoring for at least 7 days to obtain an accurate result. More reliable tests last up to three months or longer. Many building supply stores and hardware stores sell affordable Homeowner Radon Test kits for well under $100. These kits are simple to use, and will tell you if you need to be concerned.
If your Radon level is too high, remediation is strongly advised. The process, however, is neither difficult nor prohibitively expensive. Most homes can be protected for under $1000. Do not let concern about Radon discourage you from making an otherwise smart purchase decision.
13. I am interested in a property and want to know if it can be developed. Can you give advice on subdividing, adding suites, etc?
Meadowvale Developments and Inspection Services is mainly a property inspection company. However, we have considerable experience in property development and an established network of trades people and designers. We would be pleased to provide initial advice regarding design options and municipal regulations. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
14. I don’t live in Victoria BC. Can I still call you for a home inspection? Is there an extra cost?
We are based in Victoria BC, but serve southern Vancouver Island as far north as Cobble Hill and Shawnigan Lake. There is no additional cost for those inspections. We also travel to the southern Gulf Islands, for which we charge an additional fee equal to the cost of the ferry transportation for one inspector and a vehicle.
Return to our Home Page to learn more about our services.